POMMARD 1ER CRU « Les Bertins »
- Acreage 0.4529 hectares
- Grape variety Pinot noir
- Age of vines 50 years
- Soil Bathonian clay limestone
- Density 10,000 vines per hectare
- Harvest Hand-picked
- Production 2.800 bottles
- Laying down From 3 to 15 years depending on the vintage
- Destemming 100% – 20% whole bunches in good vintages
- Maturation 12 months in barrels, then 4 months in stainless steel vats (10–20% new barrels)
- Fermentation 18 days in open, temperature-controlled, stainless steel vats; very little punching down and some pumping over
The robe and nuances of this wine are deep red and purplish ruby.
On the nose, small black fruits (blackberry, blueberry) are dominant when young. With age, the aromas tend towards truffle, copper and chocolate notes, enlivened by floral scents. On the palate, the balance is perfect – powerful and round. A charming wine.
Furred or feathered game will do this wine justice: hare à la royale, wild boar stew with grand veneur sauce, or even guinea fowl salmis. It pairs equally well with a fine prime rib or raw milk cheese.
Serve at 14 to 16°C