VOLNAY 1ER CRU « Champans »
- Acreage 0.2516 hectares
- Grape variety Pinot noir
- Age of vines 40 years
- Soil Clay limestone
- Density 10,000 vines per hectare
- Harvest Hand-picked
- Production 1,600 bottles
- Laying down From 2 to 15 years depending on the vintage
- Destemming 100% – 20% whole bunches in good vintages
- Maturation 15 months in barrels, then 2 months in stainless steel vats (10–20% new barrels)
- Fermentation 18 days in open, temperature-controlled, stainless steel vats; very little punching down and some pumping over
Its deep red robe makes this the most deeply coloured wine of the estate. On the nose, it suggests power and volume, while distilling beautiful notes of ripe red fruits. Its ample palate is pure and well balanced and finishes with the most pleasant fruity notes.
This wine will accompany characterful dishes, such as game or meats in sauces and will also be divine with soft cheeses, such as Brie or Saint-Marcellin.
Serve at 14 to 16°C