VOLNAY 1ER CRU « Clos des Chênes »
- Acreage 0.654 hectares
- Grape variety Pinot noir
- Age of vines Planted in 1939
- Soil Bathonian limestone, stony and ferruginous
- Density 10,000 vines per hectare
- Harvest Hand-picked
- Production 4,000 bottles
- Laying down From 2 to 15 years depending on the vintage
- Destemming 100% – 20% whole bunches in good vintages
- Maturation 12 months in barrels, then 4 months in stainless steel vats (10–20% new barrels)
- Fermentation 18 days in open, temperature-controlled, stainless steel vats; very little punching down and some pumping over
With a beautiful ruby colour, its robe appears luminous and very intense. On the nose, a delicate scent of violets awakens the senses, followed by delicate aromas of red fruits (wild strawberry, cherry) and sweet spices. On the palate, its tannins are silky, velvety and elegant. Very charming, this Volnay is simply irresistible.
Game birds and delicate meats are ideal partners for this Volnay: a young roasted guinea fowl or a veal haunch with morels will do it justice. It pairs well with mild cheese, such as Comté or Chaource.
Serve at 14 to 16°C