VOLNAY « Vieilles Vignes »
- Acreage 1.8 hectares
- Grape variety Pinot noir
- Age of vines 55 years on average
- Soil A succession of limestone with ferruginous oolites
- Density 10,000 vines per hectare
- Harvest Hand-picked
- Production 12,000 bottles
- Laying down From 2 to 8 years depending on the vintage
- Destemming 100%
- Maturation 12 months in barrels, then 4 months in stainless steel vats (10–20% new barrels)
- Fermentation 18 days in open, temperature-controlled, stainless steel vats; very little punching down and some pumping over
This wine has donned a robe of a beautiful dark red colour with a purple reflection. The nose evokes small black fruits (blackberry, blueberry, blackcurrant). On the palate, its finesse and balance will delight those with the highest of expectations. Its silky tannins make it a charming wine.
this wine: Bresse chicken with cream, guinea fowl with cabbage or poached capon. Cheese pairs well too, provided that it is creamy or silky on the palate: Brie or Chaource, for example.
Serve at 14 to 16°C